FIRST ANNUAL AFRICAN RESEARCH NETWORK FOR URBANIZATION AND HABITABLE CITIES CONFERENCE
27-29 October 2020 (11:00-14:00 WCAT/GMT+1)
Urban infrastructure was identified at the inception workshop of the Network in September 2019 as a critical concern for most African cities. Furthermore, a major outcome of the Network's thematic workshop in November 2019 was that transportation challenges constitute a critical infrastructure gap causing dysfunctionality in urban Africa. This conference aims at providing a platform for the presentation of findings on the scoping studies titled " State of Urban Infrastructure in Africa: Focus on Transit Oriented Development" commissioned by the Network. The scoping studies provided a more in-depth, comparative analysis of the nature and depth of this problem and provides an opportunity for disseminating approaches that have been implemented to address the challenges. The study is made up of two distinct yet connected packages identified as study packages. Study package 1 comprises of thematic studies while Study package 2 are city context studies. The conference has, therefore, been structured in line with the study packages.
Structure of the Conference
The conference is divided into four sessions over three days.
There will be keynote presentations on Day 1 and 2.
Plenary Session 1 and 2 will discuss the theme: Infrastructure in Urban Africa – Africa City Reports;
Session 3 covers Housing in Africa; while Session 4 focusses on Transit Oriented Development (TOD) and Infrastructure – Solutions/Imperatives.
Attendees will have the opportunity to take part in open discussions with panel members at the end of each session.
Thematic Issues and Questions to be discussed:
· What is the state of Urban Infrastructure in Africa?
· Overview of transportation infrastructure challenges/gaps in selected African cities;
· Relationship between transportation challenges and selected thematic area in Urban Development;
· Governance framework for city transportation;
· Transportation investment – mechanisms used in providing transportation solutions;
· How to leverage on TODs as an instrument for development in African cities;
· Conceptual linkages between TODs and SDGs;
· Appraisal of Housing in Africa
📷 The University of Cape Town ARUA UHC Hub
TO REGISTER FOR THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE: https://bit.ly/3dxOjfj